Corporate Social Responsibility (R0217-3074)
01.02.2023 - 31.07.2023
Luonnontieteiden ala, Matkailu-, ravitsemis- ja liikunta-ala, Yhteiskuntatieteiden, liiketalouden ja hallinnon ala
Tarjotaan avoimen opiskelijoille
21.11.2022 - 01.01.2023
After completing the study unit you are able to:
- analyze environmental, social and economic responsibilities in service business
- develop sustainable practises in organisations
Online course in Canvas. First three modules on environmental, social and economic responsibility in the course are studied independently at your own pace. You will also work on a learning diary throughout the course. Last module is a graded group assignment on a case company.
1) Our Earth, individual work
- What is biodiversity? How is it influenced by my footprint? What choices do I have?
- All our actions have an effect on the environment but what are the main threats the world is facing?
- In the first part of our study unit you will explore the environmental challenges the world is facing.
2) Social Responsibility, individual work
- Organizations around the world are becoming increasingly aware of the need for socially responsible behavior. A socially responsible organization has a good reputation, is able to attract and retain workers and customers, and is able to maintain its employees’ morale and commitment.
- ISO 26000 provides guidance for all types of organisations on concepts, terms, definitions, principles, and the core issues of social responsibility. GRI reporting system helps the companies to communicate the impact of business on critical sustainability issues.
3) Economic Responsibility, individual work
- Organisations have economic responsibilities to their stakeholders: investors, employees and customers. Profitability is important as well as transparency in giving information about how the organisation is run.
- GDP is a widely-used indicator of a nations’ economic success. What are the shortcomings of this measure? Is it actually a good indicator of well-being?
- What is HDI? What are externalities? You will learn to define these in this third part of the study unit.
4) CSR Report, team work
- You will now summarize everything you have learned so far.
- In teams you will write a report where you describe the environmental, social and economic responsibilities including circular economy of an organisation of your choice. Find / choose a small- or medium-sized company (SME*), interview a company representative and describe the company’s best practices in the above areas (environmental, social and economic).
- Feel free to include photographs showing examples of innovative practices. Your final report, excluding pictures, should be 5-10 pages.
5) Learning diary, individual work
- You are required to compile all your contributions to any discussions in the individual learning diary.
Feedback and evaluation
The study unit will be evaluated based on your individual assignments, team report and learning diary in the following way.
- Environmental responsibility, individual work
- Social Responsibility, individual work
- Economic Responsibility, individual work
Each above mentioned individual modules are evaluated automatically as described below
- You need to mark instructions completed, score at least 5 points from the Quizz, contribute to discussion area and return Learning Diary based on that module
CSR report, team work (40%), maximum 50 points.
- Learning diary, individual work (60%), maximum 50 points.
Your individual input to discussions will be taken into consideration when calculating your final grade. Both Learning Diary and CSR Report must be done to pass the course. For the final evaluation following Laurea Grading Scheme is used.
Opintojakson työskentelytavat ja aikataulutus
There are no contact lessons during this study unit. You will work online, both individually and in teams, and actively participate in online discussions and carry out assignments.
You are supposed to work with the diary during the whole study unit i.e. starting from the very first week.
You will be required to write reports individually and in teams. Please note that all reports are submitted automatically to Urkund for plagiarism detection.
You are required to compile all your contributions to any discussions in the individual learning diary.
Canvas course includes necessary materials on each theme and links to external resources.