Python for Data Science
15.05.2023 - 31.07.2023
Tarjotaan avoimen opiskelijoille
You will gain a brief understanding of the field of data science and it’s main concepts. After this course, you will know how to collect, process and visualize different types of data using Python and it’s libraries, such as NumPy, Pandas and Matplotlib. The main focus of this course is in practical assignments that are designed to develop your skills especially within the data processing steps of an analytics project. We assume that the students are familiar with have basics of Python. Structures that are more characteristic for Python are discussed.
Opintojakson työskentelytavat ja aikataulutus
This study is conducted as online studies. Studying is done independently based on the materials provided in Moodle and based on other provided materials. The structure of the study has been prepared in Moodle so that studies there progress from top to bottom. To complete the study the course project work need to be returned within the given schedule and based on set requirements for the course project work. Project work and it’s guidelines is announced in Moodle at the beginning of the course. The project work is putting together several topics covered during this course. Topics covered in the study include
- Programming structures more characteristic for Python
- Visualizing data with Matplotlib
- Principles of visual analytics
- Reading and writing data
- Data structures and their basic properties
- Selecting, indexing, grouping and transforming data
- Working with missing data and duplicates
- Fundamental exploratory analysis of data
In addition to lecture materials and self-study materials, instructional videos are provided such that they contribute to reviewing and deepening the issues covered in the lecture materials. Instructional videos can also provide guidance on how to go through the topics and also provide the information needed to do project work.
It is preferrable to study new things in the beginning in daily basis making the tasks and making own modified practices. At the latter part of the course a student has knowledge to plan and implement the project work, which is normally quite intensive time.
Unfortunately, the course has been canceled due to an unforeseen situation. An email will be sent to students who have already registered.
- Check the implementation plan before enrolling.
- Write your personal identity number in the correct format on the form! An incompletely reported ID may prevent you from accessing the course. You also can’t transfer a credit to your home university without Finnish ID.
- Make a note for yourself of which course you have enrolled for
- Registration is binding. If you have to cancel your registration, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make room for another student
- Please note that you will receive an email about approval usually after the registration deadline of the course.
- You will receive an email when you have been approved and an ID has been created for HAMK’s information systems. Email sometimes goes into spam, so check your spam as well.
- We require the registration and use of HAMK ID, because only then can we guarantee the availability of all e-materials during the course. HAMK’s username is also required to provide course feedback after the implementation is complete