Ala:  Kaikille aloille soveltuva
This course is targeted to foreign mobility students in Finland. Especialy students who don’t have the option to attend a face-to-face Finnish class can learn basics of Finnish langauge and culture in this course.
Students know some basic vocabulary, grammar and phrases of the Finnish language. They are able to tell and write about themselves using simple expressions and to communicate in simple everyday situations. Furthermore, the students are acquainted with Finland as a country and also have a better understanding of the Finnish way of life.
This course provides students with an introduction to Finland and the Finnish language and culture:
– greetings and basic phrases
– introducing and telling about oneself (name, address, age, country, nationality, language skills), family members and housing
– some expressions of time (weekdays, months, seasons, telling time)
– simple everyday situations, e.g. shopping and asking prices
– grammar, e.g. personal pronouns, possessive construction, verb conjugation, question and negative sentence, partitive case, genitive, local cases
– main features of the spoken language
– basic information about Finland and Finnish culture
Grade 1: The student knows some of the vocabulary and the polite phrases learnt during the course. He can use simple constructions, but mistakes can impede comprehension. The student can communicate in some everyday situations when helped. Other languages strongly influence the pronunciation. The student can tell only a few main facts about the country and its culture. In the presentation, the student has shortly dealt with some topics of the country and the culture. Grade 3: The student knows the most of the vocabulary and the polite phrases learnt during the course. He can use simple constructions almost without mistakes. He manages independently in most everyday situations. The pronunciation is understandable. The student knows detailed facts widely - although some false information might appear. The student has given a relatively informative presentation on Finnish culture and lifestyle and Finland as a country. Grade 5: The student knows the vocabulary and the polite phrases learnt during the course. He can use simple constructions making hardly any mistakes. He manages independently and fluently everyday situations. The pronunciation is close to that of a native speaker. The student knows facts about the country and its culture. The student has given a very informative presentation on Finnish culture and lifestyle and Finland as a country.