Ala:  Tekniikan ja liikenteen ala
Learning outcomes of the course
On completion of the course, the student understands the structure and operating principles of a conventional (CISC) microprocessor. The student knows how the CISC and RISC architectures differ and understands the importance of registers, instruction set and addressing modes.
The student will be capable of writing simple assembler programs and will be well-prepared to learn low level programming (e.g. device drivers) in assembler and C languages.
– basic CPU structure
– machine language and instruction set
– data types
– storage of data in memory
– addressing modes
– principles of assembler programming
– CISC vs RISC and load/store architecture
– Intel 8086 and 80186 (or similar) microprocessor
– Basic ideas of other processor architectures
Recommended optional programme components
– Information Technology and Computing Skills
– Introduction to Programming
– Digital Fundamentals
Cours is 100% online (Self-Study) course.