Students cultivate their skills in understanding Finnish: vocabulary, Finnish society and culture.
The course covers four contemporary Finnish novels. The course is completed through independent study (81 h).
Students read four novels in Finnish , one of each category, and take an exam on them:
- Antti Holma: Järjestäjä or Maria Turtschaninoff: Maresi. Punaisen luostarin kronikoita
- Venla Hiidensalo: Karhunpesä or Tommi Kinnunen: Lopotti
- Juha Itkonen: Palatkaa perhoset or Riikka Pulkkinen: Paras mahdollinen maailma
- Jussi Valtonen: He eivät tiedä mitä tekevät or Riikka Ala-harja: Maihinnousu
Taking the exam requires excellent Finnish skills and knowledge of the basic terms of literary research in Finnish.
The course is evaluated on a scale excellent (5), very good (4), good (3), satisfactory (2), fair (1), fail (0). The assessment criteria is presented on a scale 1 – 3 – 5.
Assessment criteria – grade 1
- may have read all the required books but is not able to demonstrate that.
- is able to interpret some aspects of the texts according to the assignment and he/she may give few examples.
- has limited understanding and usage of the basic literary concepts.
Assessment criteria – grade 3
- has read all the required books and is able to demonstrate that.
- is partly able to interpret the texts according to the assignment and gives some examples, which aren’t always relevant.
- understands partly the basic literary concepts and uses some of them correctly.
Assessment criteria – grade 5
- has read all the required books and is able to demonstrate that by interpreting the texts, discussing the different elements and giving relevant examples.
- understands fully the basic literary concepts and uses them correctly.
Arbetsformer och schemaläggning
The course involves a written exam and 81 hours of independent study including self-assessment of learning assignment of 1 hour.
Enrolment link above. Please note if the course is not available on the enrolment list it is already full.
Haaga-Helia students enrol to the course (FIN8LE001) during Haaga-Helia enrolment period through Peppi.